Friday, September 17, 2010

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Sorry i haven't posted up anything in a while. We went on vacation (which i threw up through 3/4 of) and this week i have been busy getting everything back in shape, plus yesterday was my birthday and my hubby has been sick for the past few days...so yeah...lots on my plate.

I know i know, this is not a "cooking" recipe, but its still a recipe! lol
This is saving me SO much money!

Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe

Ingredients:
Ivory soap bars (plain with no scent or you can use Fels Naptha or another plain soap bar)
Baking Soda (get a big box)
Borax
OxiClean powder (or cheap equivalent) (this is an optional addition)

Okay this is so simple and cheap its crazy. The Ivory soap i got a 12 pack for $3, the Borax was $3 and the Baking Soda was about $2 (and i got the huge box!) and the OxiClean was $2 at the Dollar Store.

Take and finely grate 3/4 of a bar of the soap in a big bowl, add 1 cup Borax, 1 cup Baking Soda and optional 2 scoops OxiClean.
Toss with a fork and store in a large jar.
Use 2-3 Tablespoons in your wash (HE frontloaders you only need about 2 Tablespoons, i use 3 in my top loader).
Now this will leave you with a lot of stuff left. Total what you bought should give you around 5 of these recipes. I made up all of mine and put it in a huge old pickle jug. This will last me about 6 months!! You save SOOOO much money and your clothes come out smelling and looking clean and fresh!
You can also add a drop of essential oil to 1 recipe then toss to scent it. I have a jar of Lavender scented and a Spearmint Eucalyptus jar for my bedding.
Here are some photos of when i was making mine:o)





















































No comments:

Post a Comment